Feb. 13, 2014 ~ Feb. 20, 2014 : Red Velvet Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Frosting, Cinnamon Swirls, and Apple Pie Muffins.
My Task : Grab ingredients, Cut in margarine, gather into a dough ball and knead, make topping, sprinkle topping, cut up the roll. Clean up – Special Duties (Take care of laundry, fold laundry, help put away dishes, grab broom and dustpan, clean countertops)
250 mL All-purpose flour
30 mL Sugar
10 mL Baking Powder
50 mL butter or margarine
50 mL Milk
30 mL Brown Sugar
2 mL Cinnamon
25 mL butter or margarine
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
3. Cut in margarine to resemble course oatmeal.
4. Beat egg slightly and mix with milk. Stir into dry ingredients.
5. Lightly gather dough into a ball, being careful not to overhandle. 6. Place dough on lightly floured surface and gently knead 6-8 times.
7. Roll out dough into a rectangular shape and brush on, with a pastry brush, the 25 mL ofmelted margarine
8. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough.
9. Roll like ajellyroll, starting from the long side cut into 6-8 up pieces.
10. Place on a baking sheet and bake for approx. 15 minutes
My Opinion of the Lab:
The overall lab was awesome. Making a glaze at the end really took it to the next level. The cinnamon and sugar topping went well with the glaze, and would’ve been amazing with a glass of milk.
How could you use this recipe at home?
At home, I would use this recipe to take to a potluck, or whenever I want to treat my family and friends.
When would you eat it?
I would eat it when I have a craving for a sweet dessert.
Who would you serve it to?
I would serve it to my family and friends and myself.
How could you alter the recipe to make it healthier?
I could use less brown sugar, sugar, less margarine, use half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour, and not glaze it.
How could you alter the recipe to make it cheaper?
I could use butter instead of margarine, and buy in bulk.
Nutritional Info of Ingredients :
Other Interesting Links :