Mar 11, 2014 ~ Apr 4, 2014 : Potato Gnocchi, Vegetable Stir-Fry, Sweet and Sour Pork and/or Chicken
My Task :
Grab vegetables, wash and chop up all the vegetables, fluff rice with a fork, stir fry the vegetables, add the soy sauce mixture. Clean up – Housekeeper (sweep the floor, clean countertops and stoves, help put away dishes)
1 Stalk Celery
1/2 Head Broccoli
1/3 Green Pepper
1/2 Small Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 cm Piece of Ginger
30 mL Cornstarch
150 mL Cold Water
50 mL Soy Sauce
30 mL Oil
125 mL Long Grain White Rice
250 mL Cold Water
1. In a small covered saucepan bring rice, cold water, and salt to a boil over medium heat.
2. When water boils reduce the heat to medium-low.
3. Cook for 14-16 min. Do not lift the lid during cooking.
4. Without removing the lid, let stand for 5 min.
5. Fluff the rice with fork before serving.
1. Prepare the vegetables. Peel the carrot and cut of the diagonal. Slice celery on the diagonal. Cut the pepper into thin strips. Cut the strips in halves or thirds. Slice the broccoli stem on the diagonal, separate the florets into pieces. Thinly slice the onion. slice the mushrooms. Mince the garlic. Peel and mince the ginger.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the sauce and cold water. Once the cornstarch has completely dissolved, add the soy sauce and ginger.
3. Fill a liquid measure with cold water.
4. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
5. Stir-fry the onions and garlic for seconds.
6. Add the carrot, broccoli stems, and celery and stir-fry for 2 min.
7. Add mushrooms, and stir-fry for 1 min.
8. Add pepper and florets and stir fry for 1 min.
9. If the vegetables start burning or stick to the pan during steps 5-8 add 10 mL cold water.
10. Stir in the soy sauce mixture and cook for 3-5 min.
11. Serve immediately over steamed rice.
My Opinion of the Lab:
This lab was a fun lab to do. I felt as if I was cooking at home because we make similar dishes like this at home. The stir fry made a lot but was very tasty, especially the broccoli. The sauce was the right consistency and the soy sauce went well with the rice and vegetables.
How could you use this recipe at home?
I would use this recipe to make dinner at home. I would also add some meat into the stir-fry and other seasonings, such as sesame oil, oyster sauce, and/or fish sauce for the sauce.
When would you eat it?
I would eat it for dinner or lunch.
Who would you serve it to?
I would serve it to my family, friends and myself.
How could you alter the recipe to make it healthier?
This recipe is pretty healthy because of all the vegetables, but I could use less soy sauce, and less oil, brown rice instead of white rice.
How could you alter the recipe to make it cheaper?
I could take out the green peppers since they’re expensive, and just use the vegetables that I have on hand.
Nutritional Info of Ingredients :
Other Interesting Links :