Apr 20, 2014 ~ May 1, 2014: Aloo Parathas(Potato Flatbread), Dahl, Butter Chicken, Paneer
My Task : Grab ingredients, mix the spices, cook the flatbread. Clean Up – (Special Duties – put away ingredients, put away dried dishes, clean demo countertop)
250 mL flour
2.5 mL salt
25 mL vegetable oil
60-90 mL water
2 boiled potatoes
1/2 chopped onion
3 mL cayenne powder
5 mL cumin seeds
salt to taste
15 mL oil
1. Mix flour and salt
2. Add the oil and mix well.
3. Add enough water and make a semi-soft dough. Keep aside.
1. Mash the potatoes coarsely or cut into very small pieces. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil, add the cumin seeds and onion; and fry for at least 3 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes, salt, coriander, cayenne. Mix well and cook for 1 minute.
How to proceed
1. Knead the dough and divide into 5 portions.
2. Roll out one portion of the though into a circle of 5″ diameter.
3. Place one portion of the prepared filling in the enter of the dough circle.
4. Place one portion of the prepared filling in the center of the dough circle.
5. Bring together all the sides in the center and seal tightly.
6. Cook the paratha on a tava (griddle), using a little ghee until both sides are golden brown.
7. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make more parathas.
My Opinion of the Lab:
This lab is awesome because it is easy and delicious. I loved how the spices combined and gave that Indian aroma that I love. It was also not too spice and a bit crispy.
How could you use this recipe at home?
I would use this recipe to make a quick meal or a snack.
When would you eat it?
I would eat it for lunch or a snack throughout the day.
Who would you serve it to?
I would serve it to my family, friends and myself.
How could you alter the recipe to make it healthier?
I could use half whole wheat flour and half white flour, and use less oil.
How could you alter the recipe to make it cheaper?
This recipe is pretty cheap, but I could buy in bulk for the flour and use the cheaper potatoes.
Nutritional Info of Ingredients :
Other Interesting Links :