May 1, 2014 ~ May 30, 2014: Kyekyire Paano (Toasted Cornmeal Cookies from Ivory coast), Sand cookies, Chilaquiles, Rhubarb crisp, Apple Pie, Creole Cheese Potato Puffs
My Task : Combine the dry ingredients, melt butter. Clean Up – Dish Drier (Dry all dishes and put them away)
Apple Pie Pastry Ingredients:
250 mL Flour
1 mL Salt
1 mL Baking Powder
10 mL Sugar
75 mL Shortening
4 mL Vinegar
10 mL Egg
1.Preheat oven to 425F. Place racks in the middle of the oven.
2.Sift dry ingredients together
3.Cut in half of the shortening to very small pieces. Cut in second half of shortening into small pieces.
4.Place egg and vinegar into liquid measure. Add in cold water until it reaches 60 mL.
5.Sprinkle liquid over dry ingredients 5-10 mL at a time, toss lightly with a fork.
6.Shape dough into a ball. Cut in half.
7. Roll ½ the dough onto a lightly floured surface into am even circle, making sure it is at least one centimeter larger than the pie plate all the way around.
8.Gently fold the dough in half and carefully place it into the pie plate.
9.Add the filling -see recipe- into the pie plate.
10. Roll on the second half of the dough making sure it is slightly bigger than the pie plate. Place on top of the pie.
11. Moisten edges with cold water and seal. Poke holes in the top crust with a fork.
12. Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes and then at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
2 Apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
25 mL Margarine
50 mL Sugar
15 mL Flour
2 mL Cinnamon
1 mL Nutmeg
2 mL Lemon Juice
1. Prepare apples.
2. Melt margarine in a sauce pan.
3. Mix sugar, flour, and spices together
4. Add apples, spice/flour mixture and lemon juice to melted margarine in a sauce pan
5. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes stirring every once in a while. (Optional)
My Opinion of the Lab:
This lab was very delicious. It was not too sweet, and the pastry was buttery and crispy, but not too crispy. I would definitely make this at home again.
How could you use this recipe at home?
At home, I would use this recipe to make a treat for my family and serve it with some ice cream or whipped cream.
When would you eat it?
I would eat it for a dessert after a light meal, or just an after-school snack.
Who would you serve it to?
I would serve it to my family, friends and myself.
How could you alter the recipe to make it healthier?
I could use less sugar, substitute butter/margarine with coconut butter, use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
How could you alter the recipe to make it cheaper?
I could use margarine instead of butter, and just use the ingredients that I have on hand.
Nutritional Info of Ingredients :
Other Interesting Links :