May 1, 2014 ~ May 30, 2014: Kyekyire Paano (Toasted Cornmeal Cookies from Ivory coast), Sables (Tunisian Sand Cookies), Chilaquiles, Rhubarb crisp, Apple Pie.
My Task : Make batter, knead dough, shape cookies onto baking sheet. Clean Up – Special duties (put all ingredients away, wash and rinse demo unit dishes, put away dishes)
4 Hard cooked egg yolks
80 mL Butter (at room temperature)
80 mL Sugar
Grated rind of ½ lemon
1 mL Salt
250 mL Flour
50 mL Icing sugar for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. In a mixing bowl, mash egg yolks. Add butter, sugar, lemon rind, and salt. Mix into a smooth paste.
3. Add flour, a little but at a time until smooth dough forms.
4. Put in freezer for 5 minutes.
5. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough until soft, about 3 minutes.
6. Pinch off walnut sized pieces and make them into any shape. Slightly flatten each cookie with your hand and place them onto a parchment paper lined cookie tray. Make sure there is 5 cm between each cookie.
7. Bake them in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. While the cookies are still warm, sprinkle them with icing sugar.
My Opinion of the Lab:
This lab was awesome. The cookies were crunchy, a bit flaky and delicious. Next time, I would add more lemon zest to bring out more of the lemon flavour.
How could you use this recipe at home?
At home, I would use this recipe to make treats for my family or take to a party.
When would you eat it?
I would eat it when I feel like baking or eating cookies, and when I have a sweet craving for a snack.
Who would you serve it to?
I would serve it to my family, friends and myself.
How could you alter the recipe to make it healthier?
I could use less sugar, substitute butter/margarine with coconut butter, not garnish it with powdered sugar, and use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
How could you alter the recipe to make it cheaper?
I could use margarine instead of butter, just use the ingredients that I have on hand.
Nutritional Info of Ingredients :
Other Interesting Links :