Apr 20, 2014 ~ May 1, 2014: Aloo Parathas(Potato Flatbread), Dahl, Butter Chicken, Paneer
My Task : Grab ingredients, stir-fry the onions, cook the chicken, puree sauce. Clean Up – Housekeeper (sweep the unit area, clean countertops, help put away dishes.)
175 ml chopped onions
10mL minced garlic
10mL grated gingerroot
5mL chili powder
2ml ground turmeric
2mL ground coriander
1 mL ground cinnamon
1 mL ground cumin
400ml diced tomatoes, drained
200mL chicken broth
10mL brown sugar
1 mL salt
1 ml freshly ground black pepper
60mL coconut milk
10mL minced fresh cilantro
Hot cooked basmati rice
1. Cube raw chicken
2. Season chicken with salt and pepper
3. Add 15 ml oil to frying pan
4. Fry chicken at medium heat until chicken is no longer pink.
Butter Chicken Sauce
1. While chicken is cooking make sauce.
2. Melt butter in a larage pot over medium heat.
3. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, ground coriander, cinnamon and cumin. Cook l more minute.
5. Add drained tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. over and simmer for 10 minutes, from stirring occasionally. Remove heat.
6. Transfer half the sauce to a blender and purée until smooth.
7. Return pureed sauce to pot with remaining sauce. Mix well and return to heat.
8. Stir in sour cream, cilantro and cashew/almond butter.
9. Add cut-up chicken and mix well. Cookjust until chicken is hot.
10. Serve over hot basmati rice
My Opinion of the Lab:
This lab was awesome, because there was more chicken. It didn’t taste a lot like the ones at restaurants, however it was still delicious. I would definitely make it again.
How could you use this recipe at home?
I would use this recipe to make a nice meal.
When would you eat it?
I would eat it for a breakfast or lunch or dinner.
Who would you serve it to?
I would serve it to my family, friends and myself.
How could you alter the recipe to make it healthier?
I could use less butter, use low-sodium chicken broth, and use brown rice.
How could you alter the recipe to make it cheaper?
I could make my own chicken stock, dice my own tomatoes, and/or buy in bulk.
Nutritional Info of Ingredients :
Other Interesting Links :